Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Day 6 - God Box

I used to have one of these. Whenever something was bothering me I would sit down and write a letter to God, drop it in my God box and forget about it.... Trusting in Him completely.

Once we get out of the business of trying to be all-powerful in our own lives and everyone else's, we give God the freedom to do what only He can do--be God! Tremendous freedom and healing flow into our lives when God is given his rightful place.

Why is there such therapeutic value in giving God our worries? Because tension, stress, and anxiety feed our compulsions. If we happen to be overeaters, they trigger our overeating. But compulsive behavior decreases in direct proportion to the growth of our faith. The worries we trust God to handle cannot act as fuel to our compulsions.

So today maybe you would like to make a God box. Whenever a person, situation, or thing causes you worry, jot it down on a slip of paper, fold it up and slip it in your God box. Confess to the Lord that you have tried unsuccessfully to control or solve these worries. Tell Him that you desire His will in each circumstance of life. Do not take it out and reread it. Every time you are tempted to worry about these things, remind yourself that they are in God's hands. Then praise God for His faithfulness.

Phillipians 4:6-7 Do not worry about anything, but pray and ask God for everything you need, always giving thanks. And God's peace, which is so great we cannot understand it, wil keep your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.

5 comments:

C2 said...

Tracy ~

I can't say that I have ever had a "God Box" but once I let God TRULY take control of my life, things have certainly been looking up. I definitely have inner peace and that means more to me than anything else. Thanks again for another excellent post. SMILES.

LY!

~ Elizabeth

Lori said...

I think I'm going to have writers cramp. :)

Tracy said...

better writers cramp that worry Lori. ;) LOL

Sweet Elizabeth..thanks for stopping by. YOU are such an INSPIRATION to me. Thanks for ALL your support. I'm gonna need it during this contest prep. xoxo

Kristie said...

Hi Tracy! I used to have a notebook that I wrote letters to God in. I loved it and got a lot from it. Not sure why I stopped, but I think I will follow your lead and start writing again. I like your idea of the box even better. Think I will look for a box to use this week. Thanks for leading and inspiring!!!

Have a great day!!!

Kristie

Unknown said...

I love this idea. I am going to develop this habit to be as much a part of my life as my gratitude journal.
Blessings,
Denise
ps. I'm still reading the God Memorandum nearly every single day !! :)